Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Spicy Posole Chicken Soup


This soup was easy and fast to make but the results suggested that I had been slaving over the stove all day. The broth is light and spicy; the ingredients are hearty and filling. It is a meal all-in-one with chicken and veggies; it is the perfect summertime soup.

Posole Chicken Soup
Recipe Adapted from Hyvee Seasons Magazine.

Ingredients for about 8 servings:
  • 1 Express (unflavored) Marinade (for carrots, pepper & cilantro below. See Direction 1).
(Image
  • 1 MX Santa Fe Salsa Marinade.This marinade adds the perfect spice to the chicken which accompanies the soup.
  • 32 ounces of low-sodium chicken broth
  • 2 (15.5 ounce) cans of white hominy, drained
  • 2 (14.5 ounce) cans of chipotle roasted tomatoes, undrained
  • 1 can chipotle peppers in adobe sauce
  • 3 cups chopped fresh cilantro
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 28 ounces of skinless, boneless chicken
  • 3 tbs olive oil
  • 1 cup carrots, prepped as directed below, then sliced
  • 1 cup yellow onion, chopped
  • 1 poblano pepper, prepped as below, then seeded and diced
  • 2 avocados, chopped (optional)
  • 2 cups shredded Mexican or cheddar cheese
  • 2 cups plain Greek yogurt (optional)*

Directions:

1.  Prep unpeeled carrots, the poblano and cilantro using the unflavored Express Marinade for 5 minutes. This removes bacteria, dirt, and pesticides from veggies and fruits. You can eliminate the work of peeling the carrots and keep the flavor and nutrition. (I packed into the Marinade Express some red bell peppers and limes I had just bought to maximize my veggie washing use. I had previously done my cilantro and poblano and patted them thoroughly dry for refrigeration--the MX process makes them keep longer than normal--another bonus).

Look How Bright And Beautiful All My Veggies Are!
2.  Process the chicken in the Marinade Express using the Santa Fe Salsa Marinade for 20 minutes.
3. Cut chicken into bite-sized pieces. Cook in the oven at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. Make sure not to cook the chicken thoroughly because it will continue to cook in the soup.
4. In a large pot, add broth, hominy, tomatoes, 2 tsp adobe sauce and one cut up pepper (save any extra peppers for a future use). Also add cilantro and oregano.
5. In a large pan, heat olive oil. Saute carrots, onion and poblano pepper for about 5 minutes or until tender. Add the entire pan into the pot of soup.
6. Add all but 1 cup** of the cooked chicken into the pot and allow the soup to heat thoroughly.
7. Serve the soup topped with avocado slices, cheese, and Greek yogurt.*

Note: This soup freezes wonderfully. I ate two servings  and froze the remainder for another time. Also the next batch I make I think I will add some fresh corn right off the cob for one more dimension of flavor.

* Fat Free Plain Greek yogurt is a healthy replacement for sour cream. It has protein, no fat, and calcium in it. I love sour cream on anything and since I have made the switch to Greek yogurt I don't notice a difference in taste, yet I know I am making a healthy choice.
** I made a second mouthwatering summertime dish with the Santa Fe Salsa chicken-- BBQ Chicken Quesadilla. (To be posted shortly).

Spicy Posole Chicken Soup

No comments:

Post a Comment